Re: rely

la lojbab cusku di'e

> Here's an interesting one. lacri means x1 relies on x2.  How do you turn
> this around to form "reliable"?  You COULD say that se lacri means that
> x2 is POTENTIALLY reliable, but that is not how we typically use the
> word.  I have thought of (se) snadylacri, but to successfully-rely on
> something might merely mean that you overcame your doubts/better
> judgement.

This is the meaning of -able I was having trouble with. (Deserves,
is worthy of, merits, Esperanto -inda)

selylacmapti (se lacri mapti)
selylacyxau (se lacri xamgu)

They are not perfect, but it's the closest I've found.

> Also, what, if any is the overlap between "relies" and "expects"?

It depends. Is the x2 of lacri an object or an event? In any case,
to rely is more than to expect. It suggests, at least to me, that
the relier will get something out of the relied upon event.

> How to we express x1 expects x2 (event)?

I couldn't find anything for expect. The funny thing is that the
x3 of {pacna} seems totally out of place for "hope", but it seems like
a reasonable place for "expect".

pacna         pa'a hope
x1 hopes/wishes for/desires x2 (event), expected likeliness x3 (0-1);
x1 hopes that x2 happens   9d  60    (cf. djica)

How does the expected likeness relate to hope? "I hope that you will
come, with expected likeliness .75" sounds absurd to me.

Given that we have {djica}, couldn't {pacna} be changed to "expect"?

co'o mi'e xorxes