Re: TECH: "philosophy" (was: toldi nunsenva)

>exists which qualifies as an -ology.  (I vaguely recall -ology has
>something to do with Greek "logos", which may or may not help my
>definitional efforts).

My dictionary confirms that most of the words that end in '-ology' do indeed
come from Greek 'logos' a discourse. Philosophy (as it stands) stands for
'love of wisdom' which may or may not help.

However, just to muddy the waters even more, 'philology' does not mean, as
one might expect, a study of love, but a study (=love) of words and their
origins, i.e. what we are doing now. This rests on the/an- other meaning of
logos - word or speech.

The main problem with philosophy is that it embraces and enormous expanse of
human endeavour, from reasoning and logic thru ethics and the problems of
self-will to ontology and epistemology. Finding a short pithy lujvo to
encompass all that is going to be tough. Unless you go for broke and
translate the English metaphor. Does lojban have a word for that kind of
love?

What do other languages do?

Chris Handley                                     chandley@otago.ac.nz
Dept of Computer Science                       Ph     (+64) 3-479-8499
University of Otago                           Fax     (+64) 3-479-8577
Dunedin, NZ
              There are three types of Computer Scientist:
                those who can count and those who can't.