Long 5-parter coming

I'm posting in 5 parts (to keep from exceeding 16K per block) an
exchange between Ken Shan, who may become our first native Chinese
speaker to learn Lojban, which stemmed from a sci.lang exchange between
him and Leo Connolly back in June.  The discussion is for the most part
very general, dealing with what I feel are the good and weak points of
Lojban as opposed to technical details, and thus seems appropriate for
conlang as well.

I found particular interest in his comments about the Loglan/Lojban word
recognition scheme, which many English speaking conlangers have disparaged
as producing words difficult to learn, etc.

There should be plenty in this discussion to start some interesting lines
of conlang discussion, whether about Lojban or about other conlangs.