Ongoing discussion with TLI rep on Loglan/Lojban and logic - 3 of 3

Part 3 of 3+ of the exchange between lojbab and Randall Holmes.

|Message  6:
|Date: Tue, 21 Jun 94 23:15:40 -0600
|From: Randall Holmes <holmes@diamond.idbsu.edu>
|To: holmes@diamond.idbsu.edu, lojbab@access.digex.net
|Subject: Re:  Lojban
|Cc: nsn@krang.vis.mu.oz.au
|
|How do you define the set of all x such that ...x..., where ...x... is a
|_sentence_ in which x may occur several times?  This is the standard way
|in which sets are defined in mathematics.  All of the constructions you
|describe seem to have close Loglan analogues or to be refinements which
|do not address this particular problem.  You need a device for
|converting a subordinate clause into a predicate.
|
|                                        --Randall Holmes
|
|Mail>r
|To: holmes@diamond.idbsu.edu
|Subject: Re:  Lojban
|
|Having trouble coming up with an example of a sentence where "x" occurs
|several times that is not a compound (i.e logically connected) sentence.
|Part of the problem is that most Loglan arguments start out as
|descriptions, and the effect of "me" in the formal sentence would be
|simply to remove the descriptor.
|
|I think that if we got stuck with something sufficiently difficult, and
|wanted to make it a SET, though, we would simply use the "set" predicate
|"cmima" with the argument(s) defining the membership, collectively
> [...]

|cimei" for the non- TLI kibbitzers that I hope to eventually comment %^)
|Our cardinality predicate has places for the set, the mass, and the
|individuals comprising the set membership.
|
|Having said something like
|RH> Le mrenu pa vizka le bakso (the man/men saw the box)
|    le nanmu pu viska le tanxe [in Lojban]
|
|it would be inappropriate to say
|
|RH> Te mrenu pa vizka le bakso
|    ci nanmu pu viska le tanxe
|
|to clarify the number, because for us "ci nanmu" not restricted is a)
|veridical rather than intensional like a "le" description and b) because
|it is non- restricted in the example, there is no way to tie it to the
|previous usage.  We do have a discursive operator ("bi'u", I think) that
|has grammar of UI and can attach to such an argument indicating "old
|information" vs.  "new information ("bi'unai"?), where "old information"
|explicitly means that we are referring to some previously discussed
|(three) men - thereby in this context making the usage clear.  But I
|think we would be more likely to use the cardinality predicate to
|specify the number in after thought, perhaps even as a relative clause:
|
|le nanmu noi cimei cu zvati ti
|?le mrenu jio tera, hijra ti
|The men, a threesome, are here (at place indicated).
|
|lojbab
|Cc: lojbab nick
|
|Message  7:
|Date: Thu, 23 Jun 94 07:20:44 -0600
|From: Randall Holmes <holmes@diamond.idbsu.edu>
|To: holmes@diamond.idbsu.edu, lojbab@access.digex.net
|Subject: Re:  Lojban
|Cc: nsn@krang.vis.mu.oz.au
|
|I'm not sure how the set predicate is going to help you.  Sets defined
|by complex sentences where multiple occurrences of x cannot be
|eliminated by compounding are everywhere in mathematical discourse,
|certainly.  Here's an easy one, though (if Lojban lacks a reflexive, as
|Loglan does):
|
|The set of all x such that x loves x
|
|Lea meba jio ba cluva ba
|
|How would you propose to say this?
|
|Reflexives are a linguistic universal; I have proposed nuo preda here so
|that A cluva A would be A nuo cluva (with a series of these for later
|argument positions.  And it is no fair to coin a new predicate in order
|to carry out a clearly logical transformation!
|
|                                        --Randall
|
|Mail>r
|To: holmes@diamond.idbsu.edu
|Subject: Re:  Lojban
|
|Lojban has a reflexive, indeed a variety fo them for specific purposes,
|but I don;t have them firmly in mind.  I am sure that we have one for
|this simple case though I can't think of it off-hand (if we don't, we
|should ...)  My first thought was "le prami be ke'a", but "ke'a" is
|normally for use in a relative clause, not in a specified description,
|for reflexivity, and we probably can't use it for both relative clauses
|and specified descriptions without ambiguity.  [the descriptor should be
|"lo'i" and not "le" to correspond to TLI lea].  But if this is a problem
> [...]
|aid teaching.  His major work in the last few years has been with
|automated proof constructors using SNOBOL, with the intent that a
|student could be given exercises, attempt to solve them himself, and get
|help from teh software on a plausible next step in the proof as well as
|have the computer check the prrof that the student generated for
|correctness.  At least that is what I think I understood he has been
|trying for. he got a good way on this project last school year when he
|had a time and/or money grant to support the work, but I think he's been
|stalled out on the project recently.
|
|lojbab
|Cc: lojbab
|

|Message  4:
|Date: Fri, 24 Jun 94 09:16:04 -0600
|From: Randall Holmes <holmes@diamond.idbsu.edu>
|To: holmes@diamond.idbsu.edu, lojbab@access.digex.net
|Subject: Re:  Lojban
|Cc: nsn@krang.vis.mu.oz.au
|
|I will read your letter in more detial later, but here is an obvious
|problem I've been through in Loglan:
|
|le mrenu jio tera
|
|will not have the desired effect; it asserts that each of the men you
|have in mind is a threesome, not the set of three men whose individual
|members you have in mind.  Plural reference is very different from set
|reference!
|
|                                                --Randall
|

|Mail>r
|To: holmes@diamond.idbsu.edu
|Subject: Re:  Lojban
|
|Our equivalent of "tera", "cimei", has multiple places - one of which is
|a set, one of which are the individuals which are members of the set.
|
|lojbab
|Cc: lojbab nick
|
|Message  5:
|Date: Fri, 24 Jun 94 09:19:34 -0600
|From: Randall Holmes <holmes@diamond.idbsu.edu>
|To: holmes@diamond.idbsu.edu, lojbab@access.digex.net
|Subject: Re:  Lojban
|Cc: nsn@krang.vis.mu.oz.au
|
|Am I correct in assuming that ke'a is an argument form meaning "itself"
|or something of that sort?  My proposed solution to the reflexive
|problem is somewhat different.  I would be interested in hearing more
|about Lojban reflexives, though.
|
|                                        --Randall
|
|Mail>r
|To: holmes@diamond.idbsu.edu
|Subject: Re:  Lojban
|
|Actually, "ke'a" was intended to be a floating relative pronoun with
|usage like "it" in "the box such that it is green".  It is generally
|ellipsized right after the relative marker, but explicit when in other
|possitions:  "the man such that she kissed him" would be likely to have
|the pronoun after the predicate for kissed (though here again, if the
|speaker usually uses SVO order in relative clauses, the implicature
|would be to assume an eelipsized pronoun would go into the first
|available place, so ellipsis is possible here to).  A better example:
|"the man such that his (le ke'a) car is in front of the house".