Cowan weighs in #4: embedded imperatives

I believe that pc's characterization of:

1)	ko cuxna lo karda

as involving "an opaque context without a word to set the context" can be
resolved by concocting a way of embedding imperatives.  We can now embed
questions, albeit painfully, by using "le du'u ... kau ... kei" where the
"kau" is attached to the thing-being-questioned.

I propose that we make a small exception to the rule of "kau".  In general,
the particular word to which "kau" is attached doesn't really matter,
except that it may set a default:

	mi djuno le du'u la djan. kau klama la zarci
	I know who went to the store, viz. John.

However, if the word is "ko", let us say that this is an embedded imperative.
In Lojban, an imperative is true iff the command is carried out.  So
with this convention we can say:

	ko ciska lo plipe
	Eat any apple!

vs.

	da poi plipe zo'u le du'u kokau ciska da cu jetnu
	There is an apple such that "eat it!" is true.
	There is an apple which you are commanded to eat!

I haven't thought this out carefully, and the syntax may need some
refinement, but I think the idea is basically right.

--
John Cowan		sharing account <lojbab@access.digex.net> for now
		e'osai ko sarji la lojban.