Re: Cowan weighs in #1: specific, definite

& he weighs in with his usual laser-like perspicuity, saying:
> DEFINITE (sometimes spelled "+definite"): a reference is definite if the
> listener knows the referent.  English "the" is usually definite.
> INDEFINITE (sometimes spelled "-definite"): a referent is indefinite if the
> listener does not know the referent.

I did not originate this definition of definiteness, but it was me that
stated it on Lojban list. So, I should add that (a) many linguists would
consider it an oversimplification of definiteness (in the sense that
_the_, the 'definite article' is definite), and (b) logicians, of
the linguistic philosophical ilk, seem (to me) to use 'definite' in
the meaning we are using 'definite' for.

> (But then again, perhaps I am merely expressing my confusion.)

Not unless I'm as confused as you.

---
And