Re: Cowan's summary: opacity and sumti-raising

la xorxes. cusku di'e

> The status quo seems to be neither of them, but:
>
>    (c) it is impossible, and the x2 is a {le ka...}, where the
>        meaning is x1 looks for something (not quantified, thus
>        possibly an opaque reference) that has property x2.
>
> There is no place for the looked for object.
>
> I could understand this if it never made sense to have an object
> being looked for, but it does make sense, so I don't see the need
> to forbid this simple expression.

Quantifier error!

It is false that "it never makes sense", right enough.  However, it is
also false that "it does [always] make sense".  In fact, it sometimes
makes sense and sometimes not.  Having places which only sometimes make
sense is to be avoided.

--
John Cowan		sharing account <lojbab@access.digex.net> for now
		e'osai ko sarji la lojban.