Help a newbie get started!

Hello, everyone!

I have finally decided to learn lojban.  Actually, I decided quite some time
ago, and just never had the time.  I have been on the list for about a year
now (under a different account most of that time).  I signed off about two
months ago because I couldn't keep up with the list.  There was too much
volume for me, and it was all over my head.  Now, I sign back up, and no one
is here.  Is everyone on vacation, or have the headted debates simply died?

I am not here to complain :)  Just wondering where the messages are.

The main reason I am writing is to get some advice on learning the language.
I have decided to focus on learning the gismu at first.  Logflash is nice,
but I wanted to make some tapes and/or flashcards that I could use anytime I
wanted and not just when I am at my computer.  Does anyone have any advice on
how to make these learning aides?

I am especially interested in the tapes, because I can use them while
driving.  I recorded approximately 30 minutes of myself reading the gismu.  I
would say the word, spell it, say it again, and then give the definition.
Does this sound like a good method?  I have only listened to it a few times,
so I can't say if it is working at all.  It seems as though I am not learning
the gismu as much as I am learning what order the words are on the tape :)

The only other language study I have is Spanish in High School.  Does anyone
have any advice on the self-study of lojban?  Surely we have some polyglots
out there who will share their secrets with the masses :)

I hope to be a regular poster soon!

--
Shannon Jones
scj@pobox.com