coi

SwiftRain wrote
>coi. doi ma
>    ni'o mi tadni Lojban .i xu do ctuca mi
>
>    ni'o xu de'u xamgu .i mi troci .a'i

i'e xamgu

>I have been using Logflash and the reference grammar and I have
>some comments/questions/suggestions:
>
>  - Logflash seems like a very good way to learn vocabulary.  I have
>been using it for a few days and I already know as much or more than I
>knew after several years of French. :)

Thank you.  I will be interested in hearing about your continued progress.
If you are truly doing it daily or nearly so, and putting in more than a
half hour a day, we are recommending that people change to Gaining Control
rather than New Word REview mode, since it works faster and better.  We
also can then get data for research, since LogFlash saves such data once you
get into Gaining Control Mode.

>I wonder, the order of the new words does not seem random, what is
>it based on?

The preset order was set from a word frequency compilation which included
the teaching materials, which explains why the words in the teaching materials
show up early.  The actual frequencies will be found around character position
160 in the gismu list.

>  - I do not yet understand the grammar very well.  I have looked around
>for some example text to give me more context, and I found things like
>MLK's "I Have A Dream" speech -- which I'm sure would be quite
>interesting if I understood it, but I am still downroundabouts in the
>"mi klama le zarci" level. ;)
>    What would really make this easier to digest is some sort of text
>which works very slowly from simple to complex, using each new idea in
>various contexts before moving on.

We have a dearth of text extracted and posted that is simple.  However
if you scan the Lojban List archives for the past couple of years, you
will find a lost more simple and conversational level text.

>  - One idea I've had for how to make learning vocabulary easier: Lojban
>picture books.  You know, like they have for little children: "gluta"
>with a picture of a gluta, and "plise" with a picture of a plise.

The main problem is finding the artists to do the artwork.  Clipart is fine
when you can find what you are looking for, but too much of it is cutesy
rather than useful for teaching.

>    That's about it for now.  But could those here who know Lojban well
>maybe help me with the grammar?  Perhaps I can try to write some simple
>stories, and you can show me if I do something wrong? :)

Write and post away.  I suspect that your grammar is going to be fine.  It
isn't as hard as it looks, andsome of the people who read the list are
pretty good at figuring out what you meant to say if you come even remotely
close in a conversational context.  (Things get a little trickier in
translations, because there is missing context and usually too much complexity
of ideas in the sorts of things that people try to translate.)

lojbab
----