Re: 'your will' as sumti

I'm not up to discussing the Lojban semantics of "will", but it seems that
first you have  to be clearer about "will" as used by Rabelais. I get the
impression that Ashley also has in mind Crowley's gloss (as in "Do what
thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law"), where "will" is not simply
"desire" or "motivated action" but an almost teleological concept along the
lines of "that which in your considered opinion is the best thing to do in
relation to your personal development and your position in the universe".
Or something like that (it also has echoes of Augustine's "Love God, and do
as you will").  I have elsewhere glossed this as "awareness of intrinsic
tendency", but that doesn't make sense outside my own rather idiosyncratic
personal philosophy
(http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/8309/pattern.html>).  Unfortunately
there doesn't seem to be an English word that fits this idea very well, so
if we can find a Lojban structure, then all to the better.  I don't think
there are any gismu that would fit - someone needs to come up with a good
tanru here (and at this point I bow out).

Robin

P.S. Apologies to those I referred to
<http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/8309/native.html> for stuff on
governments and languages - most of the good stuff is in the notes, which
haven't made it into HTML yet.  I'll get them on ASAP.  I'm also thinking
of making a collection of ludicrous examples of language and national
policy, so if anyone has any good ones, please e-mail them to me.