Re: Knowledge & Belief

vecu'u le notci po'u <883777789.0919010.0@listserv.cuny.edu> la Rob Zook
<rzook@INFORMIX.COM> cu cusku di'e
>At 08:52 PM 12/30/97 -0300, Jorge J. Llamb=EDas wrote:
>>Rob:
>
>>What you do need to change is {fau}. You probably meant {nu} there.
>>
>>Also, what is it that's being shattered into pieces? :)
>
>Well, I could not find a word for "interuption" so I tried to make
>a descriptive tanru "le porpi fau tavla" "the break in the event of=20
>talking". I also thought that with a tanru like "porpi tavla" that the
>tanru would take the place structure of tavla since that's what's being
>modified, so no pieces just unspecified talkers and subject.

The problem (with fau) is not in the meaning but in the syntax. fau is a
sumti tcita (selma'o BAI) which means that it may occur
1) Preceding a sumti, in which case it specifies the role of that tanru
in the bridi
1a) As a special case, followed by an empty tanru (which means either
final in bridi, or followed by unelidable ku) explicitly stating that
there is a sumti playing that role but not specifying it
or
2) Preceding a selbri, in which case it is a generalised 'tense' and I
suspect has rather a similar meaning to 1a), but I'm not sure.

However, it cannot grammatically occur between two brivla.

There is however a problem with the meaning, as somebody else pointed
out: porpi means 'smash into pieces', which is not obviously appropriate
to talk (it could be to 'talker', but that seems unlikely to be your
meaning zo'o).
My stab at interrupt would be something like setca tavla 'insert talk',
but there may be a better candidate.

|     Colin Fine    66 High Ash, Shipley, W Yorks. BD18 1NE, UK       |
|  Tel: 01274 592696/0976 635354  e-mail:  colin@kindness.demon.co.uk |
|        "Don't just do something! Stand there!"                      |
|              - from 'Behold the Spirit' (workshop)                  |