Re: Knowledge & Belief

At 02:05 PM 1/1/98 -0800, Ashley Yakeley wrote:
>djuno" doesn't seem particularly useful, and I would suggest that one
>matching a more usual English definition of 'know' (as indeed the
>gismu-list suggests) might be better.

djuno [ jun ju'o ] know
     x1 knows fact(s) x2 (du'u) about subject x3 by epistemology x4
     [words usable for epistemology typically have a du'u place; know how
     to - implying knowledge of method but not necessarily having the
     ability to practice (= tadjyju'o)] (cf. know/familiar with: se slabu,
     na'e cnino, na'e fange; cmavo list du'o, cilre, certu, facki, jijnu,
     jimpe, senpi, smadi, kakne, birti, mipri, morji, saske, viska)

Funny, but that explanation sure seems to imply an epistemological
and not a colloqual meaning for djuno. It's knowing _facts_. This
seems to suggest something much more rigid than guess you "know"
what's going on in another's head.

Rob Z.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx