Re: knowledge and belief

>Rational people using rational epistemologies do not.  But those using
>mystical epsitemologies may come to accept apparent contradiction as
>"true".

Are we talking about rational people using  mystical epistomologies, or
irrational people using mystical epistomologies here?  I would suggest that
a rational person using a mystical epistomology might accept _apparent_
contradiction as true on the grounds that language is not adequate to
describe everything, and for some truths an contradictory statement is the
best approximation.  Much confusion is caused by failing to mark
epistomology (as has been mentioned already).  ru'a Lojban is a better
language for discussing mysticism as well as science because it is possible
to mark these, either by using the epistomology place, or by using
attitudinals.  Thus a mystic could use something like "se'ope'a" to prefix
a statement that is on the surface nonsensical or at odds with observed
reality (e.g. the sound of one hand clapping, or the idea that both free
will and determinism exist).

co'o mi'e robin

Robin Turner

Bilkent Universitesi,