Re: lojban 'a'

Rick Nylander wrote:

> I'm not sure how to pronounce the lojban "a," which the book describes as
> something like the "a" in New England "park."
>
> I'm from the western U.S. (me no speakee New English).  Is it something like
> halfway between the a's in "fat" and "father"?

The "a" of "father" does fine, as long as you don't let it merge
with Lojban "y", which is the "a" of "sofa".  You have to keep them
distinct even when "a" is not stressed.  If you can learn to
pronounce "a" further forward in the mouth (but not so far as
"fat"), then it is less likely to be confused with Lojban "y").

			e'osai ko sarji la lojban