Re: knowledge and belief

>lojbab:
>>While it might be nice to include all 4 of Steve's suggestions in the
>>x4 definition, we are limited by the fixed length of the definition space.
>>In general, where we had multiple words for oblique places, they were stuck
>>into the space beyond column 160, which is where the note about words usable
>>for epistemology is located.
>
>Why are we still stuck with this infernal 160 limit on entry size for
>definition space? Sounds like an unncessary software technology constraint
>to me. I'm a big fan of terseness, but to define "knowledge" in 160
>characters seems rather beyond the pale.

We are "stuck" with it a) because the gismu list was originally designed for
use as a data file for LogFlash, and not necessarily as a baseline document.
It still serves that role - as a data file for LogFlash, even though it
has now been baselined.  If the gismu list format is changed (as indeed it will
implicit be when we prepare the dictionary, then the result will no longer
be processable without rewriting LogFlash, and no one wants Nora and Lojbab
to stop doing other more important Lojban work in order to modify the software.

We cannot afford to be promulgating one baseline list in a Logflash independent
form as well as a different list for Logflash, because that will cause
uncertainty as to which list is the baseline list, and which takes
precedence in case of disagreement.

Oncve the dictionary is published, it will take precedence over all other lists
for the duration of the baseline period, and it is possible to separate the
function of the list.  Thus it is possible for me to consider making changes
to the dictionary definitions of the gismu that are not in gismu.list
which is the official baseline.  But since that latter is a baseline, these
changes cannot be substantive.  And because I have not actually started
preparing the Lojban side of the dictionary, it is premature for me to
separate thise functions - My personal copy fo "logdata.raw" = "gismu.list"
is the master baseline document as well as the dictionaru master, and this
will probably be true until late in the dictionary-publication process.

lojbab
----