Re: Knowledge and belief

>>Einstein knew that the 3 Newtonian Laws of motion are false.
>
>Einstein specifically denied knowing that his theory was "true" in his
>statement that "No experiment can prove my theory true, but one experiment
>could prove it false. If you bar the philosphy of science issue, you
>obviate any basis for rational discussion of this example.

That is why I confined the example to Newton's Laws and said that Einstein
knew that they were FALSE.  There were, I believe, experimental confirmations
of Einsteinian theory that also thereby disproved Newtonian physics, while
Einstein was yet alive.

Newton lived in a time before the philosophizing of science had ruled out
the "knowing" of scientific fact.  By the standards of his century, he
almsot certainly could have claimed to "know" his laws were true.

lojbab