Re: Knowledge and Belief

On the other hand, when we say:

"I (x1) know that <the Earth is the center> (x2) <of the solar
system>(x3) according to <Ptolemaic theory> (x4)."

that is a true statement.  Once we give a context of a (even internally
consistent) model, direct correspondence with reality is not necessarily
required.

Later, when we learn the flaw in the model, and replace it with a
Copernican or Keplerian model and say:

"I (x1) know that <the sun is the center>(x2) <of the solar system>(x3)
according to <Copernican theory> (x4)."

what in fact we have done is to replace the underlying model, which in
this example cannot be distinguished from the belief structure.

In the above example, the passage of time has nothing to do with the
truth values.  It may very well be that x4 cannot be omitted for djuno
if we are being precise in our statements.

Now, if we had someone from those times making that statement within the
context of the times, perhaps the belief structure argument gains more
ground . . .