Re: knowledge and belief

coi doi rab.

> Do we know for sure Socrates meant to sound ironic?

The Socratic dialogues have been much discussed by
classical scholars in both the Western & the Islamic
traditions.  Most agree that Socrates meant to be
ironic when he described himself as ignorant, & that
he did so purely as a rhetorical tactic.  In fact,
Western classicists even use the phrase "Socratic
irony" as a technical term for what happens when a
knowledgeable person makes a purely rhetorical claim
of ignorance.

The scholarly consensus could be wrong, but I guess
I'm "presupposing" that it is correct.

co'omi'e markl.