Re: Summary so far on DJUNO

At 04:08 PM 1/27/98 GMT+0, Rob Zook wrote:
<snip>

>My intention was to clarify. We agree what believing is, and part
>of knowing involves believing. So why not call that part of
>knowing "believing", since that's what it is?

We just imphesizing different "aspects" of the meaning of "know".
In this case, given all the confusion, I think that emphesizing the
belief part over the know part adds to the confusion, rather than
resolving it.

>Before I continue, let me note that I have come round to the view
>that x4 should indeed be an epistemology place, mainly because
>that's what the baseline says.

I object to the substatution of metaphysics for epistemology for
that reason also, apart from the fact it seems to make no sense.

>> Epistemology - "the study or a theory of the nature and grounds of
>> knowledge especially with reference to its limits and validity"
>>
>> That seems like exactly what the x4 represents, the grounds for
>> someones claim of knowledge.
>
>But that's not what John and Jorge thought the x4 was.
>
>> Metaphysics means "the system of principles underlying a particular
>> study or subject". More inclusive, while epistemology refers
>> _specifically_ to that which underlies knowledge.
>
>And this pretty much is what John and Jorge thought the x4 was.

And what seems irrelavent to djuno.

Rob Z.
Were it offered to my choice, I should have no objection
to a repetition of the same life from its beginning, only
asking the advantages authors have in a second edition to
correct some faults in the first.
-- Ben Franklin