Re: Summary so far on DJUNO

At 11:52 AM 2/15/98 -0500, Logical Language Group wrote:
<snip>
xorxes:
>>>If there is ANY debate as to the truth
>>>of a proposition possible, under any epistemology or metaphysics, then
>>>it is not a fatci.
>>
>>Isn't that a bit strong?

lojbab:
>The gismu list says truth "in the absolute".  That is indeed most
>extreme.
>General semanticists that deny the mathematical axiom of identity will
>not necessarily agree that "x=x" is a fatci (There is a guy who has been
>an active Lojbanist at one time who is such a G.S. afifcionado - I am
>not saying that all G.S. people are so extreme).

I don't know that any G.S. people would deny the mathematical axiom
of identity, only the "is of" identity particle of language. Within the
context of mathematics x=x seems merely tautological. We disagree with
the idea that any word "is (identical)" to some existant event in space-
time. Or that my conception of the event (what's behind my use of a
word), "is (identical)" to das ding an sich.

Rob Z.
"...That no government, so called, can reasonably be
trusted for a moment, or reasonably be supposed to have
honest purposes in view, any longer than it depends wholly
upon voluntary support."
--- Lysander Spooner,
    No Treason: the Constitution of No Authority