Re: Lojban ML: Syllogism and sophism

Lionel:
>Is it an 'acceptable' Lojban sophism to say:
>  cirla zenba klani -> kevna zenba klani -> cirla jdika klani

I would say yes. We can even remove "klani" to make it
more aphoristic:

        i cirla zenba ije'abo kevna zenba
        "Cheese type of increasing results in hole type of increasing"

        i kevna zenba ije'abo cirla jdika
        "Hole type of increasing results in cheese type of decreasing"

Of course the assumptions are different in each case. In the first
case you have the cheese increasing by adding cheese-with-holes
to it. In the second the number of holes is increasing by removing
cheese and creating the holes. Just like in French or in English.
This is not so much a matter of logic but of understanding the
process involved. Logic alone can never tell you the relationship
between {cirla zenba} and {kevna zenba}.

Another possibility:

            i cirla zmadu ira'abo kevna zmadu
            "More cheese goes with more holes."

            i kevna zmadu ira'abo cirla mleca
            "More holes go with less cheese."

>while the right logic is:
>  cirla zenba klani -> kevna zenba klani
>  *slash*
>  cirla zenba kevna -> kevna jdika klani

I'm not sure what you mean by {cirla zenba kevna}, a cheese
increasing type of hole? But in any case, there is no explicit logic
there.

co'o mi'e xorxes