Re: Lojban ML: Syllogism and sophism

Lojbab:
>I guess this is going back to what Lojbab thinks the various gismu mean.
>marji is supposed to mean "matter" such that "ni marji" is "mass" one of
>those paradigms underlying the gismu list choices made back in ancient
days.

Is {ni marji} the amount of the relationship between an object, some
of its components and its shape?

The best translation for the property "mass" in my opinion is
{le ka grake}, having mass is having "gramness".

>>In any case, the whole point of the aphorism is that it's a seeming
>>paradox. If we resolve the paradox it loses its whole raison d'etre,
>>so a good translation has to maintain the apparent paradox.
>
>I guess I am dense as to what constitutes maintaining or clarifying the
>paradox.

Well, I already offered a couple of short translations that maintained
the apparent paradox and one long translation that resolved it.
Nobody else offered any full translation either way. Do you have
a short and snappy translation that avoids the paradox?

> If we want the ambiguitry of English, why bother using Lojban?

English is as capable of disambiguation as is Lojban, isn't it?
As for why bother, I suppose everybody who bothers to use it has
their own reasons. I just like the language.

co'o mi'e xorxes