Slavic vowels/ response to Ivan

Yes, barred "i" is the usual IPA character for the "bI thing".  I
would have to consult a phonology book for the proper terminology, but
I think it is a high unrounded central vowel.

I took your /I/ for an ASCII approximation to a small capital "I",
which in IPA means a lax high unrounded front vowel (as in "bit"),
distinguished in English from the tense high unrounded front vowel /i/
(which is always long, as in "beat").

I suppose barred "i" is a good choice.  Just make it very brief.

Ivan