Re: Eaton: You asked for it ...

JL> >  Jorge:  any idea why peruano was
JL> > frequent but the words for Colombian, and Chilean are not
JL>
JL> Nope. How were the frequencies determined?
JL>
JL> co'o mi'e xorxes

It is not really known - the work was done back in the 1920's, and therefore
it is probably based on written text, since the distinctions in registers
and dialects were not seen as important then.  My question is therefore
whether there is something about Peru or Peruvian culture or people that would
cause ti to be talked about or used as an example in predominantly European
(Spanish) texts.  I can for example see Argentina as being important, since
it had ties to England as well as Spain culturally, based on the folklore
presented in the musical Evita.  I would imagine Panama to have rated higher,
purely on the existenceof the canal - I suspect that the high rating for Cuba
was due to cigars and sugar, since it was also considered a frequent concept
in English as well as Spanish.

lojbab