Re: Eaton: You asked for it ...

Nice to see Jorge left the hardest ones for me :)

#confessional            (S) confesionario

Before we can give this a meaningful equivalent, we need a word for "confess"
or "admit". The Shoulson line would be to just use {xusra}, but if you leave
out the {se xusra}, that doesn't tell you much.  {zugyxu'a}, perhaps, for
"confess" (you both assert it and feel guilty (zungi) about it). For "admit",
maybe something more like {bilga tugni} or {se bapli tugni}

#generality              (G) Allgemeine          (S) generalidad

ka kampu, ka sucta

#imprudent               (G) unvorsichtig        (S) imprudente

dukydarsi, maldarsi, jagdimnynalpei (jalge dimna na pensi --- not considering
consequences)

#jasmine, jessamine      (S) jazmin

xrulrxiasmina

#flagrant                (S) flagrante           (G) offenkundig

filselzga (frili se zgana), sfasynalseljde (sfasa na'e se kajde)

#halo                    (S) aureola

stedu sruri ke censa gusni cukla

#insufficiency           (F) insuffisance        (G) Mangelhaftigkeit

ka na'e banzu

#sulk                    (F) bouder      (G) schmollen   (S) estar mohino

sivni badri smaji

#intonation              (S) entonacio'n (G) Anstimmen

tonga tadji

#parishioner             (F) paroissien  (G) Gemeindemitglied    (S) feligre's

malsi cecmu cmima

#participle              (S) participio

gernrpartikipi,o (no way does this get a lujvo)

#roguish, knavish        (F) coquin      (G) boshaft     (S) picaresco

The German means 'malicious'. jikyzeitra? (jikca zekri tarti)

#undefinable             (S) indefinible

na'eka'e se satcyskicu

#crossroad(s) (see below)(F) carrefour   (G) Scheideweg  (S) encrucijada

dargu forca (I think)

#decanter                (F) carafe      (S) garrafa

botpi most of the time, of course; if we're talking about decanting explicitly,
perhaps {senta botpi}, {senta sepli rinka botpi}

#romanticism             (G) Romantik    (S) romanticismo

I've translated this as {prami zanru tarti}

#cohesion                (F) cohe'sion

ka racli. For the literal meaning, ka simkancmi (simxu ke kansa cmima);
kancmi/cmikansa is what we say of two cohering entities: da kansa de lenu
cmima di .

#crossroad               (F) traverse    (G) Querstrasse (S) calle transversal

klajyterkruca

#discouragement          (G) Entmutigung (S) desaliento

na'e mukti zukte , but the place structure is going to look funny: z1 z2
m1 m2 m3, when we'd like m3 to be x2. Maybe na'e te mukti zukte: z1 z2 m3
m2 m1 --- X does Y to encourage Z to do W, with Z hoping to get V out of it.

#monosyllable            (S) monosilabo

pavyslaka, pavyslakyvla

#centennial (adj)        (S) centenario

ctona'a krefu

#embargo                 (G) Sperre      (S) embargo

nu na'e canja kei sfasa, nu na'e te vencu kei sfasa

#nonentity               (F) nullite'    (G) Null        (S) nulidad

na zasti

#set-up (n)              (F) miseen sc`ene (G) Szene     (S) montaje

No idea. draci ganzu?

#bimetallism             (G) Doppelwa:hrung      (S) bimetalismo

si'o sicni jinme remei (what an *odd* concept to find a single word for!)

#coat-tail               (F) pan         (G) Schoss      (S) faldo'n

The German literally means "lap", and the French --- skirt, flap. And yet
I don't think there's anything that wrong with {kosta rebla}, given the
definition of {rebla} in the gi'uste.

#[this also could use an entry for the Englishism, possibly only Americanism,
#of "coat-tail effect" for the political effect of a popular party leader
#causing lesser-knowns of the same party to win by aura-extension or whatever
#you wanna call it]

Hm. The expression I'm thinking of has at least six gismu, so I'll leave this.

#(self) starter          (F) de'marreur  (G) Selbsteintritt
#                        (S) arranque automa'tico
#[this is the automobile part - this has also become an English idiom
#used to describe a person - a "go-getter", presumably a different Lojban word]

sevzi ke sazri cfari tutci?

#abnegation              (G) Ablehnung   (S) abnegacio'n

pluka-"refuse". "refuse" is to'e "accept". "accept" is {cpacu tugni}

#optimistic, optimist    (F) optimiste   (S) optimista

pacna pensi

#mawkish                 (F) doucereux, mielleux (G) empfindsam
#                        (S) almibarado, meloso

maldukcinmo

#monolog(ue)             (S) monologo

sevzi tavla

#phosphorus              (S) fo'sforo

Se John's Chemical Element list.

#prote'ge                (F) prote'ge' (n)       (G) Schu:tzling (S) protegido

se kurji cilre

#indorsement             (F) endos(sement)       (G) Indossament (S) endoso
#(is this "endorsement", these days?)

For its most frequent, figurative meaning, {zanru}. For its literal meaning
(signing the back of cheques), {catni ciska}

#epicure                 (F) gourmet     (G) Feinschmecker
#                        (S) epicu'reo, sibarita

xamgu citka, cidja certu

#hen coop, chicken coop  (F) poulailler  (S) gallinero
#[how about "cooped up"]

jipci zdani. "cooped up" is something like {zdani se jimte}

#idealist                (S) idealista

sidbo tarti, though that's just a first guess.

#sheepish                (F) penaud      (G) bescha:mt
#                        (S) avergonzado, cortado

The German means "ashamed", the French --- "crestfallen". {burna tarti}, I
suppose. Btw, shouldn't "ashamed" be {zungi burna}?

Hope these stimulate some discussion. I *was* supposed to get work done
today, you know...

# Der Mensch liegt in groesster Noth,      You are reading another .sig from
# Der Mensch liegt in groesster Pein;     the NICK NICHOLAS .sig Factory. Mail
# Je lieber moecht ich im Himmel sein.     [nsn@mullian.ee.mu.oz.au] for your
#    -- Des Knaben Wunderhorn, _Urlicht_   .sig suggestions. [Padding Space]