Re: RET: proposing a lujvo

la xorxes. spuda mi di'e

> > Fact is, I have trouble remembering the rules for
> > hyphens.  Does {clamauri'a} work as a lujvo for
> > "lengthen"?  Or must I insert an /n/, yielding
> > {clamaunri'a}?
>
> No, in theory stress is enough to keep the lujvo
> together. (You can't stress "cla".)
>
> But on the semantic side, I would prefer {clazenri'a},
> or {clazengau} for "lengthen". {zmadu} is usually for
> comparing two different things, rather than one thing
> with itself at different times.

I think I was reaching for {clazengau} or even
{temzengau} for "prolong".  Or maybe just {zengau},
since {temci} is specified as part of a different lujvo
in this text, which I now rephrase thusly:

.i zo solsetyvi'u cu lujvo lesi'o vimcu le barsenta
cidro le solri  .i.a'o lenuzo'e solsetyvi'u nu'o zengau
le solri selxaktei

> (Are you causing it to become longer than it was
> before or longer than it will be later?)

Hmm.  The "it" in this case is a length of time
- a sun's "useful life", a concept I've tried to
convey with {selxaktei}.  A typical sun whose outer
layers of hydrogen have been stripped off should be
able to support life on its attendant planet(s)
longer than a typical sun whose outer layers of
hydrogen have not been stripped off.  The more
massive the sun, the shorter its span of usefulness.
Removing the outer layers of hydrogen would reduce
the sun's mass & should prolong its "useful life".
Obviously I'm not yet ready to say all of this in
Lojban, but I'm working on it.

Thanks for your help.

> co'o mi'e xorxes

co'omi'e markl.