No Subject

>If there are multiple refents in our language of the word
"Philosophy",

>wouldn't it be more in the spirit of Lojban (perhaps even required)

>to make separate words for them?

>I proposed "Tadnytadni" to mean "that thing we do in philosophy

>class."  Perhaps the referent of "my philosophy on..." is something

>more like a belief, and the referent of "Eastern philosophy" is

>something more like "kamprijytoctadni".

This approach makes a lot more sense.

The English *word* "philosophy" is so overloaded with meanings that a
fu'ivla is best for translation of the word.

The various *concepts* which "philosophy" includes can reasonably be
translated into individual lujvo.  (There are also specific English
synonyms for many of these concepts.)

Here are the target concepts, all from the American Heritage
Dictionary:

1a.
igger><bigger>Love
and pursuit of wisdom by intellectual means and moral self-discipline.

<bold>1b. </bold>The investigation of causes and laws underlying
reality.

<bold>1c. </bold>A system of philosophical inquiry or demonstration.

<bold>2. </bold>Inquiry into the nature of things based on logical
reasoning rather than empirical methods.=20

<bold>3. </bold>The critique and analysis of fundamental beliefs as
they come to be conceptualized and formulated.=20

5. </bold>All learning except technical precepts and practical arts.=20

<bold>6. </bold>All the disciplines presented in university curriculums
of science and the liberal arts, except medicine, law, and theology.
<bold>

7. </bold>The science comprising logic, ethics, aesthetics,
metaphysics, and epistemology. <bold>

8. </bold>A system of motivating concepts or principles: <italic>the
philosophy of a culture. </italic><bold>

9. </bold>A basic theory; a viewpoint: <italic>an original philosophy
of advertising.=20

<italic>has an unusual philosophy of life.=20

one that comes closest to what I have been referring to in my
discussion of the meaning of "philosophy".

Steven Belknap, M.D.

Assistant Professor of Clinical Pharmacology and Medicine

University of Illinois College of Medicine at Peoria