book status

Just a brief update to people about the reference grammar progress.

We've had soem trouble during the last 2 weeks ingetting the book to
look just right when transferring the manuscript file to the printer.
Since they use different printers than I do at home, this apparently
causes Microsoft Word to change the page layout in subtle ways.  When
we tried to transfer the file in Postscript, there were some minor
problems in the file apparently due to special characters.

However the printer has produced a proof from one of the defective
files, and we can actually say that we have some idea what the book will
look like. (around 7" x 10" and 1 1/4" thick, or very similar to a
volume of Knuth's Fundamental Algorithms, for those familiar with this
computer reference work).

Just yesterday, I managed to produce a file based on the printer driver
that the printer uses, and the printer will get this file this morning.
I have verfied that the Postscript is valid enough to produce a PDF file.

I have also been discussing technical details with the printer like the
exact kind of cloth to be used on the cover.

Until I get a good proof back from the printer, I am hesitant to set a
firm publication date, but it will likely either 1 October or 15 October.
When I set this date, we will make the official announcement and start
taking advance orders.  This is likely within a week or two.

Because I have been so bad in the last couple of years about getting orders
filled, I have enlisted the aid of Dave Barton, who is also a new member
of the LLG Board of Directors, to take charge of order fulfillment.  Dave
plans to come to my house at least weekly to help keep orders moving.  Those
who have waited excessively for previous orders (as well as for checks to be
deposited) should see substantial improvement in the future.

Becuase of inactivity, our account for processing Visa and Mastercard
bankcard payments lapsed, and we are having to go through the elaborate
procedure to restablish this service.  Bankcard processing is very
expensive for us, but seems to be most convenient for those Lojbanists
ordering the books from overseas.  Since we have of late seen more than
30% of new Lojbanists from outside the United States, this service is
important to successful publication of the book.  But until we announce
on Lojban List that this problem has been resolved, those who submit
payments via credit card will not see the transaction processed.  We expect
this to be resolved before book publication, and we WILL take advance orders
by credit card along with other forms of payment.

The cover price for the book was set at $48 by the membership attending
LogFest.  However, direct orders to LLG in the first few months of
publication will get a discount price of $39, and advance orders will get
a discount price of $35.  There will be a shipping and handling charge,
but we don't yet know what it is (and it may be affected by the UPS strike
settlement when it occurs, if UPS charges change).  Probably around $4 in the
US.

We're working on and settling the details, as you can see, and things really
are moving along.  Now that I have a proof in my hands, even a defective one,
it really feels like a Lojban book will soon be a reality.

lojbab
----