<djuno>

>I agree with you there, but I can't resist pointing out
>that Lojban grammar allows us to leave sumti unspecified
>when the speaker considers them either irrelevant or
>pragmatically obvious.

Certainly. But this use of <djuno> is so odd, that I don't consider the
elided sumti to be either irrelevant or obvious.

>I also agree with you that the rarity of absolute knowing
>would make a gismu like {djuno} practically pointless, if
>its meaning were limited to absolute knowledge.

I don't know why people keep misconstruing my objection to telepathy as
being equivalent to making <djuno> a gismu which is only applicable to
absolute knowledge. I have just reread the entire thread, and I absolutely,
positively did not say that <djuno> can only be used in application to
absolute logic, or any other such rubbish, and in fact took great pains to
list baseball, religion, social convention, mathematics, codified science,
and any other formal system as a potential basis for the X4 sumti of
<djuno>.This sumti would of course be elidible given an appropriate
context.  I have repeated my argument several times, in several different
ways, with examples in lojban. Please stop misconstruing my argument!
Please reread the thread! Please give examples in lojban. We are drowning
in English nonsense.

co'omi'e la stivn

Steven Belknap, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Clinical Pharmacology and Medicine
University of Illinois College of Medicine at Peoria