Re: Adjectives

vecu'u le notci po'u <883118810.1022367.0@listserv.cuny.edu> la Andrew
Sieber <absieber@EOS.NCSU.EDU> cu cusku di'e
>Page 17 in the book says that "sutra tavla cutci" means a shoe that is
>worn by a fast talker, rather than a shoe that is fast and is also worn
>by a talker.  So how do you translate the latter into Lojban?

Either sutra ke tavla cutci (fast [talker shoe]) or perhaps sutra je
tavla cutci (both-fast-and-talker shoe).

>And how do you translate "a shoe that talks fast"?  It seems to me, it
>should be "sutra tavla cutci".
Yes it could. The gloss in the book is unnecessarily restrictive.

>The place structure is given in the book as "s1 is a fast-talker type of
>shoe worn by s2 of material s3".
>This seems to me that the shoe talks fast.  However, the book says that
>the wearer is a fast talker, not the shoe itself.  Why does the wearer
>have anything to do with it?  "sutra tavla" is modifying "cutci"; "sutra
>tavla" is not modifying s2 (the wearer).
Correct.
>For clarification, here is a complete bridi:
>
>ti cutci mi
>That means "This is a shoe worn by me".  Is this correct?
Yes

>ti tavla cutci mi
>"This is a talking shoe worn by me".  Correct?
Or a talker's shoe worn by me. or a shoe for talking worn by me. Or any
interpretation you might put on "a talk-to-somebody-about-something-in-
some-language kind-of shoe worn by me.

>ti sutra tavla cutci mi
>"This is a fast-talking shoe worn by me".  Correct?

Yes.

>ti tavla sutra cutci mi
>This is meaningless gibberish, because it makes no sense for tavla to
>modify sutra.  The other way around is ok, because "fast" is a way in
>which I can talk, but it makes no sense for "talk" to modify "fast".
>Correct?
No. It means a (talk-to-somebody-about-something-in-some-language kind-
of fast-at-doing-something) kind-of shoe worn by me. This might make
sense for example in a context where we know the talkers walk at one
speed and non-talkers walk at a different speed; or a shoe designed for
moving at a talking speed (whatever that might mean). Or lots of other
interpretations.

>Page 13 in the book says that the x2 position for cutci specifies the
>foot that is wearing the shoe.  I am simply using "mi", to indicate me
>(my foot).  Is this valid?
Yes

Colin
|     Colin Fine    66 High Ash, Shipley, W Yorks. BD18 1NE, UK       |
|  Tel: 01274 592696/0976 635354  e-mail:  colin@kindness.demon.co.uk |
|        "Don't just do something! Stand there!"                      |
|              - from 'Behold the Spirit' (workshop)                  |