Re: Knowledge & Belief

>>My stab at interrupt would be something like setca tavla 'insert talk',
>>but there may be a better candidate.
>
>I just was trying to get a close match to "break into the conversation"
>which was what I literally meant. "Insert" seems more more emotionally
>neutral than "break". Interupting has more emotional nuance to me since
>it's usually considered a little rude.

When writing in Lojban it is essential to forget the emotional and cultural
nuances of the English keywords as much as possible.  The Lojban words NEVER
are intended to have the emotional connotations of their corresponding
English words.

>So how would I say something like that? What would you use to build
>a tanru meaning "to break into a conversation"?

If you mean to interject a single remark, i would agree with setca tavla - you
are inserting something into the talk.  Though perhaps it would be better
expressed with tavla setca  Talkingly-insert.

I  would also consider jmina tavla but this is ambiguous as to whether you
are augmenting on prior discussion by you and/or others or adding yourself
into the conversation.

I think that using casnu (discuss) for conversation is more effective with
 either setca or jmina.  An event of talking is not necessarily a conversation,
 but
could be a monologue/speech.

The words pertaining to interruption generally do have some connotation of
being disruptive - dicra and zunti being the ones that come to mind  You
could validly assume that these WOULD be considered rude in many cultures,
though if you put zabna on the front, the result is not rude, but more like
putting a merciful end to a nonproductive or stultifying discussion.

lojbab
----