Re: <djuno> & howabout <krici>? (Was Knowledge & Belief)

>Steve:
>> One of the nicest properties of lojban is this "one word - one definition"
>> idea.
>
>Where is this idea articulated/prescribed? I approve of the idea, but
>sometimes it is incompatible with the (rest of the) prescription, and
>sometimes it is incompatible with usage.
>
>--and.

To some extent it goes back to the introductory brochure which says that
Lojban does not have words with multiple unrealted meanings like "set",
or with the large family of distantly related meanings like "run" where
centuries of metaphorical extension has made the word excessively diverse in
meaning.

It was almost certainly stated in the original Scientific American article
on Loglan, or at least implied.  More recently, I am sure we discussed this
kind of thing several times in JL, possibly in the early issues that are
up on the net, since teh single cohesive meaning concept was one we spent a
lot of time on at the first LogFest here in Virginia in Sept 1986.

More explicitly, the fact that a brivla is defined with a particular place
structure great ly restricts the possible range of meanings for the word.

More officially authoritative, ther eis a sentence in the book at the beginning
of Chapter 12:
"Since lujvo, like other brivla, have a fixed place structure and a single
 meaning..." with the general context making it clear that this is in contrast
to the polysemy of tanru.

lojbab
----