'Breaking In'

vecu'u le notci po'u <884103803.1212423.0@listserv.cuny.edu> la Rob Zook
<rzook@INFORMIX.COM> cu cusku di'e

>Well, in my experience interuptions can have that kind of effect on
>the conversation. Someone interjects their own point of view and
>fragments a conversation into even more threads, so metaphorically
>one can think of that as breaking into pieces.

Fair comment - but don't necessarily expect to be understood!

>>My stab at interrupt would be something like setca tavla 'insert talk',
>>but there may be a better candidate.
>
>I just was trying to get a close match to "break into the conversation"
>which was what I literally meant. "Insert" seems more more emotionally
>neutral than "break". Interupting has more emotional nuance to me since
>it's usually considered a little rude. So I wanted to say something
>like, "excuse me for interupting/butting in/sticking my nose in".

But apart from a few gismu specially defined for the purpose, ('mabla',
and the rarely used 'zabna'), gismu in or out of tanru do NOT have
emotional connotations - or rather, if you expect to convey emotional
connotation by your choice of gismu you risk being misunderstood.

'porpi' means 'fracture into pieces'. It does not of itself carry any
connotation of rudeness, rashness, or even violence. Expecting it to
bring some of these connotations into a tanru is mistaken.

If you want these connotations, you should either use UI (if you're
talking about your - or somebody else's - direct experience), or include
a gismu of appropriate meaning 'vlile', 'nalclite' or something.
|     Colin Fine    66 High Ash, Shipley, W Yorks. BD18 1NE, UK       |
|  Tel: 01274 592696/0976 635354  e-mail:  colin@kindness.demon.co.uk |
|        "Don't just do something! Stand there!"                      |
|              - from 'Behold the Spirit' (workshop)                  |