Re: <djuno> & howabout <krici>? (Was Knowledge & Belief)

>> It is in JCB's Loglan books. I think it is mentioned in the intro chapter
>> of Cowan's grammer as well. Could you give an example of an exception to
>> what is intended to be a core principle of the language?
>
>I can't give you examples of officially & wittingly countenanced
>exceptions. But in our discussions of the last few weeks we have
>found cases where polysemy was one possible solution to certain
>conflicts within grammar & usage. Off the top of my head, the only
>one I can remember is cucli ("curious"), where the meaning of cucli
>various according to the grammatical properties of its sumti
>(sdpecifically, iirc, whether x2 is a du`u clause containing {kau}).
>
>I've not studied the baselined giu`ste thoroughly, but I suspect that
>there is a lot of similar polysemy.

Ah, now that you have explained yourself...
I agree that in some sense the variation in meaning between filling a place
with an abstraction vs an object might be consider polysemy.  However, I
hope you will admit that the range of the meaning(s) is relatively small
and confined only the the relationship of that one place with the rest of
the predicate.  The Loglan community has historically been rather blind about
abstractions vs. sumti raising as well, though I think we have gone several
major steps beyond JCB and indeed beyond natlangs in general in attending to
the issue and making it POSSIBLE to resolve it, should we ever have
fastidious enough speakers who can recognize when they are raising.

AS for the specifics of including kau, we are aware and I think agreed that
the inclusion of many of the attitudinals and discursives can affect at
minimum the truth functional nature of a bridi.  I have some heartburn at
a discursive opeing up polysemy if it happens (though I still think that in
the case you mentioned, the book simply has a sumti-raising error), but I
don't think that this is necessarily polysemy in the wordlist per se rather
than a complex effect of the cmavo causing the issue.

lojbab
----